Friday, March 12, 2010

Inspiration is Everywhere! (Even In a Random Guy's Shirt)

We asked Leslie of Crooked Stamper what inspires her. This is what she said:

What inspires me? I get inspiration from some very strange places, most of them things I never noticed before I became a stamper and card-maker. Things like the colors of the stripes on the shirt of the guy in front of me on the train, or a co-worker’s sweater and purse combo. Last summer I noticed a bunch of the new Land’s End polo shirt colors were exact matches for the new Stampin’ Up! In Colors, and of course, I needed to buy them! (The shirts AND the card stock!) Using these things in my environment, I started out innocently enough making “normal” cards – you know: Birthday, Thank You, Anniversary.

I also do some of the color challenges on various Web sites and blogs to stretch myself - make myself go outside of my comfort zone. Most of us have go-to colors, and I need to be pulled out of my rut every once in a while.

Then there’s my typical not-so-neat craft area. Some of the card stock that piles up next to my paper cutter is a great source for color combos. I made part of this card out of a pile of paper scraps – just trimmed strips I almost threw away.

Then I started seeing stamps with not-so-normal sentiments, and seeing humor in things people said, or quotes that I’d read, and thought: wow - that would be so funny on a card. Thus, I found myself going down the “irreverent” path. Like this one … which is a modification of something one of my Tweeps said one night, or this one, which is one of my best selling cards.

I paired it with an image I got from my local stamp store. I like that I can make her say anything I want. A lot of my repeat customers at my local farmers’ markets say, “Well, you won’t see this at Hallmark!” I like to think I’m filling a niche that The Big Guys missed. ;-)

Then there’s blogs. I subscribe to dozens of crafty blogs, and I see what other people are doing with stamps I already have, or see other stamp sets I must now own, so I can make my own creations.

Inspiration: It’s Everywhere! Just open your eyes!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/crookedstamper
I also do a local farmers’ market every Saturday from May-Oct in Gaithersburg, MD.

1 comment:

  1. hair extensions can help you get rid of the frustration you're having with your hair.


    How are clip in hair extensions being put up? It is braided together with the natural hair.



    If you end up going to a cheap hair extensions Australia hair dresser who has no training and is

    inexperienced, you could end up with permanently damaged hair.

    ReplyDelete