Monday, February 22, 2010

Meet Justine of Sunshine Creations and Daisy of Lanyapi Designs !

Welcome to Jewelry Week!

This week we will be focusing on jewelry makers. Today we are happy to bring you interviews with two CRESTers: Justine and Daisy. Justine's Etsy site is justinesjewelry.etsy.com and Daisy's site is www.lanyapi.etsy.com.

Our interview with Justine:

Q: When did you first start making jewelry?
A: My journey as a jewelry designer began when I was a little girl and used to go to the beach every summer with my family. I would string shells and plastic beads on string. I would give these creations to everyone in my family. I just fell in love with making jewelry and have been doing it ever since.

Q: What inspires you?
A: Almost all of my inspiration comes from music. All of my pieces are song titles. Music is a big part of my life and it just dictates what I create. My selection is across the board from the Grateful Dead to Lady Gaga to Alabama.

Q: Is this your full time job? If not how do you balance a full time job with your Etsy shop?
A: My full time job is a stay at home mom to two wonderful kids ages 1 and 8. I also work part time as a Children's Ministries Director and am back in college. I love all that I do so I try to schedule my days so I have time to do a little bit of everything. Designing jewelry happens mostly at night, during naptime or in the early mornings when it is quiet!

Q: What are you doing to challenge yourself and get to that next level?
A: Right now I am in the process of learning how to wire wrap and to stamp metal for jewelry. I am reading a lot and taking some wire wrapping classes

Q: Do you have any advice for other jewelry designers?
A: My advice would be to read as many jewelry designing books and magazines as you can to learn about what is new. Have a team of friends or family or other designers that are always supporting and encouraging you. Keep at it even when you have a roadblock or are frustrated!

Our interview with Daisey:

Q: When did you start making jewelry?
A: I started making jewelry about a year and a half ago. I took one class with a friend and haven't stopped making jewelry since then.

Q: What inspires you?
A: One of the things that inspires me the most is travel. I have had the opportunity to live and travel all over the world so I draw much of my inspiration from the colors and people of other cultures. I love walking around local markets and finding things I can incorporate into jewelry, whether it be a vintage finding or hand carved bead. I currently have a Peruvian collection in the shop featuring red seeds found in the Amazon and am currently working on an Indian collection.

Q: What is your favorite thing to make?
A: Right now I love making functional pieces. I love beautiful jewelry that also has a purpose. Lately I have been making necklaces that feature mini pocket knifes, pens, perfume lockets, magnifying glasses, coin purses, whistles and more!

Q: What are you doing to challenge yourself and get to that next level?
A: I signed up for a wax molding class to learn how to make components and jewelry out of wax and then cast them in silver. It's nothing like I have done before so I am excited for the challenge. I am also starting to offer one on one beading class for people who want to learn how to make jewelry, to share my knowledge with others.

Q: Do you have any advice for other jewelers?
A: I would say to just keep making designs that you like. Don't just make what your family likes or what is on trend. When you make pieces you would love to wear yourself you will feel the most proud and happy.

3 comments:

  1. Great interview!
    I am a fan of both Justine and Daisy's work!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading these interviews and getting to know my fellow CRESTers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyable reading here, as I'm passionate about jewelry too. I'm always speaking in the language of jewelry, so I know what you mean Justine!
    ~Sharon

    ReplyDelete