Thursday, March 27, 2008

Nylon Thread



Green Origami Cranes

These darling Japanese-paper cranes are about one inch from beak to tail. I folded the cranes myself from the most beautiful, colorful Japanese Washi paper with gold-ink accents; it feels like fabric and has traditional Japanese kimono patterns. It took me some trial and error, but I finally found the perfect size for wearing as earrings. I offset the paper with gold-plated wire/earwires and green faceted crystal beads.
These birds are magical creatures; the crane in Japan is one of the mystical or holy beasts (others include the dragon and tortoise), and is said to live for a thousand years.

Notes from the Artist:

I work by day as a graphic designer and as my job got increasingly technical, I found myself looking for ways to explore creative outlets with my hands. I first worked in bookbinding and illustrating, but about 12 years ago, a friend turned me on to making jewelry with beads and I was hooked! I have some training in metalwork, but haven't invested in the equipment it takes to continue that field. More than the monetary investment, however, I have two children (5 and 2.5 years) that occupy most of my spare time; the 5-year-old has recently been "helping out" with the beads. Regarding the recent origami trend, I've been fascinated with Japanese paper-folding since I was 7, so it's been exciting combining two loves of mine!

My craft space:

Up until last month, I was in front of the TV just like many of the rest of us. However, we just set up a projector TV that requires near-darkness to view, so I had to relocate to the home office. I'm actually pleased with the new space! I create on a low table, and sit on floor-pillows surrounded by bookshelves and supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment